Patient Access Lead
The post holder is responsible for the developing, implementing and managing the daily operations of the patient access departments in the Hospital . The overall purpose of the role is the management of administration services associated with patient access to both inpatient, day patients and OPD areas of the Hospital.
The post holder is responsible for identifying and implementing strategies to improve processes, promote operational efficiency and enhance the patient experience.
The post holder will manage Patient Access Services initiatives related to point of service collections, insurance verification, patient experience, medical necessity, pricing transparency, workflow design and denials.
The post holder is responsible for leading and motivating a team of staff across a number of departments.
This position ensures that services are delivered in accordance with regulatory, quality and financial standards.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes and preserves the Mission, Values & Ethos.
- Provides vision, leadership and operational oversight for staff.
- Provide direction to all admitting and booking teams across all entry points.
- Establishes collaborative, positive relationships with key stakeholders
- Engages with Department Leads across all relevant areas
- Positively influences and negotiates with stakeholders to ensure the best possible patient access outcomes for the hospital.
- Collaborates with Hospital Management to set appropriate KPI's and review opportunities to strengthen the patient flows and patient pathways.
- Recognises and promotes initiative.
- Actively leads and/or participates in modernising Patient Access through the review and implementation of new technologies and the implementation of standardised policies and procedures.
- Oversees all Patient Access Services in the hospital.
- Develops and administers appropriate policies and procedures including, but not limited to the management of patient access, insurance information, point of service collections, insurance verification and unbilled accounts.
- Plans operational goals and KPI's.
- Forecasts trends and develops strategies for allocation of resources.
- Ensures policies are uniformly understood and properly interpreted and implemented.
- Understands and practices continuous quality improvement.
- Provides support to consultant staff as required
- Responsible for the development and implementation of Point of Service collections programs at all points of patient registrations.
- Ensures appropriate insurance information and financial agreements have been authorised.
- Work with Consultants, Health System Leadership and Hospital Stakeholders in improving the quality and efficiency of the local systems.
- Monitors the effectiveness of the department in maximizing the use of resources.
- Assists with preparation of budgets and recommends opportunities to improve efficiency.
- Effectively communicates to all levels of the organisation.
- Drives the culture within the Patient Access team aligned with the mission, ethos and values of the Health System.
- Develops an agile Patient Access workforce that is responsive to the needs of the hospital and patients.
- Supervise, manage and develop staff within the Patient Access Services.
- Promotes training programmes that are consistent with Hospital policy.
- Carries out performance appraisals, probation reviews and return to work meetings with Patient Access staff in line with HR policy.
- Regularly facilitate communication and team meetings with Patient Access staff.
- Ensure that all staff leave is scheduled to ensure the availability of cover at all times
- Ensure the cost-effective use of all staff in patient access services and promote positive employee engagement.
- Participate as appropriate in the recruitment and selection of staff
- 5 years relevant experience with at least 3 years of management experience ideally in a healthcare setting
- Proven track record in effective management of patient insurance information, point of service collections and insurance verification.
- Leaving Certification or equivalent or higher-level qualification
- Excellent Computer literacy skills with extensive experience in using computer systems and applications
- Good understanding of finance and business processes
- In depth understanding of the patient access function
- Demonstrated strong people management skills
- Excellent communication skills with a strong negotiation ability and clear presentation and reporting ability
- Service-oriented and proactive team player
- Ability to develop strong co-operative working relationships
- Willingness to make decision
- Able to motivate and challenge team members