Medical Social Worker
Are you a Highly Motivated Medical Social Worker with experience working in an acute setting?
We are delighted to be recruiting a Basic Grade Medical Social Worker on behalf of a growing, well established multidisciplinary team within a hospital in Clonmel.
This role requires an immediate start, it is a full time fixed term contract, working 37 hours across Monday to Friday only.
The successful candidate offered this role will have the opportunity to apply for a permanent position
Details of the post: The successful candidate will work as a basic grade Medical Social Worker within the acute setting. The post holder will work as part of a multidisciplinary team based on an identified ward within the hospital.
The position requires flexibility on the part of the post holder in terms of ability to manage and navigate a caseload within a team, provide support, advice to team colleagues in the management of caseload and on the reporting and evaluation required to support core team functions.
The post holder will take a lead role in facilitating hospital avoidance and early discharge from hospital.
The Medical Social Worker will
- Be responsible for the management of the day-to-day provision of the social work service to patients on the ward.
- Take direct responsibility for a defined caseload as required / directed by the attending Consultant of the ward and the Principal Medical Social Worker, in particular cases that require a high level of experience and expertise in a Day Hospital for Older People.
- Provide a comprehensive social work service as part of a multidisciplinary team in the Day Hospital where the focus is on the psychosocial aspects of patient and family care.
- To provide counselling, emotional and practical support to patients and their families to assist them in developing strategies to cope with the psychosocial and emotional impact of age related illness.
- Provide emotional and practical support to Carers of patients of the Day Hospital.
- Actively participate in the discharge planning process of patients.
- Actively participate in team building and change initiatives and lead service planning and development.
- Ensure the implementation of models of best practice /evidence based practice.
- Ensure the delivery of social work services in accordance with legislation, policies procedures, guidelines, protocols and evidence based practice.
- Ensure the delivery of social work services in an integrated and multidisciplinary manner with a range of statutory and voluntary groups and organisations.
- Consult and liaise with other external agencies such as primary care providers and voluntary agencies as appropriate.
- Ensure the promotion of the social model of care and recognition of the social determinants of health and social well-being.
- Ensure anti-discriminatory practice and cultural competence, at individual and service levels.
- Provide consultation, support and management to other team members in relation to the management of child protection and adult safeguarding/adult at risk concerns.
- Promote a culture that values diversity and respect in the workplace.
- Attend team meetings, ward rounds, clinical reviews, case conferences, support groups / committees as requested by the Head Medical Social Worker.
- Provide group work and educational sessions to patients, families and staff as requested by the Head Medical Social Worker.
To be considered for this role, you must have the following profile:
- A recognised qualification as a Social Worker.
- Be registered in the Social Workers Register maintained by the Social Workers Registration Board at CORU.
- Experience working in an acute hospital setting and in the community setting is preferable.
- Experience of working as part of a team demonstrating strong advocacy and communication skills.
- Demonstrate an inherent knowledge, understanding and interest in the medical social work profession and willingness to augment the role when in the post.
- Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to collaborate with colleagues and service users and the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrate an excellent understanding of psychosocial assessments and support needed by patients and their families.
FRS Recruitment: Here at FRS Recruitment we offer FREE Flights to Irish Citizens returning home who successfully secure a job through our agency (T's &C's apply)
Are leading providers to Medical and Allied Healthcare professionals to public and private hospitals throughout Ireland. We pride ourselves in the standard of service we provide to both candidates and clients. We also have a dedicated Compliance Officer to provide unparalleled support and guidance throughout the recruitment process, and throughout a relocation process if applicable.
Contact If you have experience working in a hospital setting, please contact Charlene Cooke, Client Relationship Manager, Allied Healthcare Division, FRS Recruitment. Call me to discuss this role : +353(0)86 0227527 for more information.