General Counsel / Company Secretary
General Counsel / Company Secretary
Permanent full time
Newbridge, Co. Kildare
This role will be based in Newbridge and will report to the CEO/Board. The successful candidate will be responsible for performing the duties of Company Secretary in accordance with the Companies Act 2014 and the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies 2016. The General Counsel/Company Secretary will provide legal advice to the CEO, and provide assurances to the CEO, Senior Leadership team and other stakeholders that there are appropriate processes and systems in place throughout the Company to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Provide advice and support to the Chair, CEO, Directors and senior leadership in relation to discharging their fiduciary duties under the Companies Act 2014 and the Code of Practice. Provide advice to the Chair, CEO, and Senior leadership team on governance requirements and liaise with shareholding Departments and their advisers to obtain any approvals required under the relevant acts and legislation;
- Arrange Board of Directors meetings and Board Committee meetings, prepare minutes of such meetings and communicate with stakeholders with regard to general corporate policy. Prepare and maintain records and actions of the Board of Directors and ensure compliance with statutory reporting requirements;
- Develop a Legal Team strategy and identify opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness, to ensure the most appropriate and cost effective Legal services are in place to support the strategic intent
- Provide support on corporate matters to other teams in connection with M&A and project finance transactions. Provide legal support to European commercial development initiatives including power purchase agreements with corporate customers;
- Proactively identify potential legal risks and provide practical business-focused legal advice to the CEO and Senior Leadership team on topics including commercial, finance, product development, planning, environmental and human resources enabling the execution of strategic objectives and priorities;
- Lead GDPR compliance within the organisation and ensure any new legislation on Data Protection is implemented and updated as necessary;
- Lead the development of the legal team through engagement, coaching and mentoring to ensure a high performing and effective team.
- Ensure the legal team has the capability and capacity to meet the ongoing and future needs to deliver value adding and cost effective projects and services.
- Lead the collaboration with the Legal Services teams in each of the Business Units to ensure common policies, programmes and initiatives are implemented consistently within each Business Unit and to share information and ensure consistency of approach on legal related matters. Manage the panel of external legal advisers to ensure the provision and timely delivery of value adding legal services;
- As a key member of the Senior Management team, proactively use the Performance Management process as a means to support resource planning within your team and the wider organisation;
- All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring Health and Safety, and Welfare of co-employees and members of the public using the premises
Experience, skills and qualifications:
- Level 8 Degree in Law, Business or related discipline
- Qualified solicitor
- 5+ years' experience;
- Experience of dealing with commercial contracts and corporate secretarial matters;
- Commercially astute individual;
- Demonstrated knowledge of a range of legal areas;
- Strong legal and analytical skills combined with attention to detail and thoroughness;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner both inside and outside the organisation.