Finance Manager (Public Sector)
Our client provides public services to the Galway and Roscommon area. They have over 20 hubs and over 40 dedicated centres. In addition, over 2000 staff, approximately 22,000 users and a budget of €122m based on 2021.
Location of Position
The position will be based in their Head Office East of Galway City
Purpose of Campaign
This role requires the ideal candidate to be a qualified, experienced highly motivated, talented, and ambitious individual to manage their finance function. The Finance Manager will report to the Director of the organisations support and development division.
- A qualified financial accountant and a member of a recognised body of accountants, with a minimum of three years post qualification experience at a senior level in a public sector or commercial organisation.
- Experienced in using a range of accounting packages and other financial desktop software.
- Experience of managing a Finance Team and the finance function in a large organisation
- Comprehensive knowledge of public or private sector financial procedures and accounting methods and of contemporary management accounting techniques and principles.
- High level of ICT literacy including a proven ability to apply technology in the workplace.
- Knowledge of risk management and the implementation of internal controls.
- Capable of working on their own initiative, with strong multitasking capability, flexible and results focused.
- Good planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks effectively in a diverse and pressurised environment.
- Excellent leadership skills with proven ability to lead, motivate, coach and develop staff to deliver high quality output within tight time frames.
- A commitment to teamwork and leading change and a demonstrated ability to manage resources effectively.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, including negotiation, report writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent judgement, problem-solving, analytic, and decision-making skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to self-evaluate learning needs and to actively seek learning opportunities.
- Strong skills in building productive working relationships and the ability to foster strong links with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Project management experience on large financial projects.
- Understand the main features and current challenges of the Government's public sector reform plans, including the delivery by the Departments shared services to the sector.
- Extensive understanding and experience of systems such as SUN / SAP / CORE.
- Knowledge of Public/EU Procurement procedures and guidelines.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The general duties and responsibilities listed below are not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and so, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned from time to time while in office:
- To be responsible for the management, control, and oversight of the client's finance function.
- Prepare the annual statutory Financial Statements.
- Manage the Finance Team, including staff professional development needs.
- Project management and roll out of financial shared services projects.
- Preparation and management of budgets/forecasts, reporting and such financial or other submissions as may be required from time to time
- Preparation of internal and external financial and management reports on a monthly/quarterly basis.
- Development and implementation of financial management policies, procedures, and systems in line with new requirements of legislation, circulars etc.
Candidates should note that eligibility qualifiy for posts is open to citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA) or to non-EEA nationals with a valid work permit.
Applicants will be required to declare whether they have previously availed of a Public Service scheme of incentivised early retirement, including schemes not specifically mentioned above.
Terms of Appointment
The post is whole-time and temporary, and the appointment will have a probationary period, details of which will be stipulated in the contract of employment.
Successful candidates will be paid at point 01 of the APO salary scale unless they have previous relevant public sector service.
30 working days per annum.
Sick Leave and Special Leave.
Sick leave and special leave may be allowed in accordance with the conditions in force at the time of employment.
For the purposes of satisfying the requirements as to health it will be necessary for the successful candidate before they are appointed, to undergo at the Board's expense, a medical examination by a qualified practitioner nominated by the employer.
The appointment will be terminated by one month's notice in writing on either side.
As part of the Board's recruitment and selection process, offers of employment to all posts will be subject to NVU disclosures which the Board reserves the right to re-vet all staff employed in positions that entail working with children and vulnerable adults at any time during their employment.